Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Aches and Pains

After nearly two months of combined jujitsu and kali, my body is starting to give me some unwanted feedback. Let's see, there's the bruised ribs, the two aching elbows, a bruised knee, the mild hammy pull, and there's always the surgically repaired achilles to keep an eye on.

No pain, no gain has been a mantra I've been familiarized with from a very early age, and I suppose there's some truth to it. However, being so badly beat up in practice that you can't practice seems to defeat the purpose. I'm not that bad, though. Just ranting.

There's nothing more frustrating in competition than having to go at 70% when you're opponent is going at 100%. I've been drinking water like crazy, which has probably kept the injury count down as well as the severity.

Maybe I should just spend more time drumming ... naaah. What I've learned most from the past week's kali and jujitsu is the importance of "blending"; keeping in contact with an opponent in order to more easily complete a follow-up attack. Much easier said than done, but man does it work well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home