Thursday, December 22, 2005

Capoeira Angola, Ralph Gracie Jiujitsu, and Layoffs

Capoeira Angola
I recently started taking Capoiera Angola. It's the total opposite of Kali in that the use of hands is not allowed, except for walking. I've been to 3 classes so far and I still feel like a little kid, because there's just so much to learn. Usually a new martial art is easy for me to pick up, but this time that is not the case. In the first class one of the exercises was for everyone to walk on their hands from one side of the room to the other. Yeah right! The scary part is that everyone else could do it, and there wasn't a tumble among them. Except for me. Even with the constant feeling of uncoordination, it's great to be in a place where I feel like I'm learning something new. I can't wait until I figure out how to apply Kali principles to the movements.

Ralph Gracie Jiujitsu - Don't sign anything!
Before I begin, I should say that the instruction and instructors at the Berkeley School that I attended was awesome. As were the students. A great familial atmosphere, and some extremely talented players.

Now the bad stuff.

When I signed the contract that said they could deduct monthly payments directly from my checking account I was told that after 3 months, I could chose to end the contract. After 2 months, I had aggravated too many old injuries, and a few months later provided a written notice stating that I'd like to end my membership.

Contradictory to what I was told verbally, the contract says I have to pay for 12 months, and the folks that process the payments for the school don't seem eager to stop dipping into my cookie jar. It's an extremely bad mark on an otherwise stellar organization. Remember, don't sign anything when you join the school. I'm not the only former student experiencing this problem.

Layoffs
In other bad news, my boss, her boss, and most of her peers were laid off last Friday. Merry Christmas. Needless to say our group has been decimated. I still don't know who I report to at work, although that hasn't stopped me from working on our group's public-facing web page design. To those folks affected by the cuts, you have my sincerest condolences. Good people all. Happy holidays. :-(

1 Comments:

Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Happy Holidays!!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home