Thursday, November 10, 2005

Happy Birthday

This is a special week. Not just because today is my birthday, but because yet another one of my closest friends lost a parent. This time, though, there was no warning. That same friend found out this week that his wife is pregnant with their first children: a boy and a girl; twins. For him, I'm sure there is some metaphysical message for why both life and death have been juxtaposed so closely at this time in his life.

For me, I'm trying to figure out if there's some similar meaning between my two friends, Eric and Erik losing their parents between months of each other. Oddly enough, they are both the same age. I remember one night spending the night in Eric's guest room and having a dream that birds flew through a window and landed on the bed I was sleeping on. In the dream I couldn't move, and the bird walked up the blanket, on top of me, towards my face. I told Eric about it and asked him what he thought it meant. His advice, "it means whatever you make of it".

It didn't really help me put much meaning into the dream, but it did make me remember that I have free will. Our dreams, whether in sleep, or in life are what we make of them. We have a great deal of control over our own destinies.

When I was a kid I had chosen this birthday as the day in which I would accomplish my goal of becoming a millionaire, so that I could begin a life of philanthropy. Well, I'm a long way away from there, but it doesn't look as improbable as it once did. I do still intend to pump up my donating and volunteering efforts in the hopes that I can help give someone hope in their own destiny, though.

Both Erik's father, and Eric's mother did just that. They created legacies that enabled the success of not only their immediate families, but of their extended families, and their communities. I'm happy, and lucky to have known both of them, and I sincerely hope that my contributions in life can come close to equaling theirs.

I used to ask myself, "What does it mean to be an adult?" It has eventually come to mean being totally responsible for one's self. To be a good adult (a good man/a good woman) means being responsible for one's family. To be great means to assume responsibility for an entire community. I don't know if I have it in me to be a great man, but it is very helpful to have personally known a few shining examples.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Maurice, Erik just e-mailed me your writings from November 10th, 2005.
Thoughts swirl around in my brain. Life and Death- hand in hand? Meaning of Dreams?
Our responsibilities while taking part in this Earth School?
You, Maurice,create good Karma with kindness and thoughtfulness. I am thankful that you are part of our extended family.
Wishing you wellness and love, always, Maggan.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home