Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Nancy's Funeral

This was the first funeral I've been to where I had actually been in relatively close contact with the person of honor. Part of me didn't like being there because of the discomfort of having to deal with my own emotions, but another part was extremely grateful to witness, and be part of, the celebration of the passing of a great person.

Nancy was a wonderful woman. Always full of great stories and advice, and always going out of her way to make you feel at home in her house. Although her passing was a sad event, I actually felt a little relieved in knowing that she wouldn't have to feel sick anymore. What really choked me up, though, was seeing how much she touched the lives of her friends, family, and coworkers. She was the best salesperson at her place of employment up until her death and the owner of the company she worked for showed so much support for her that it lead one of the ministers presiding over the ceremony to say that he'd never seen that type of admiration from an employer in his many years of participating in funerals.

The event wasn't all sad though. I was able to meet members of her family that seemed to be on the same good path that Nancy walked. There was Jimmy and Joe and their beautiful wives Lorena and Lorraine, Melanie and her sisters Melissa and Maureen, and cousin Nicholas. I met a lot of great people, but these folks really stood out because of their talent and dedication to their own families as well as their extended families. Great, great people.

Then there was Pastor Tab. A former collegiate all-start in Basketball, now in his eighties, but easily confused for someone at least 20 years younger. After Nancy's burial, he went over to console another grieving family standing nearby. I think to some it looked like he could have been simply taking advantage of an opportunity to "market" his church, but I assure you that to that family he was quite literally a godsend. And to me, I still get choked up thinking about that unselfish act. In the short time I had to meet him, I developed a strong respect for Pastor Tab. It was fitting that it was people like this that surrounded Nancy in her life. It explains a lot.

Her son, and my good friend, Eric has posted a photo tribute to his mom. Click the image below to visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home