Thursday, August 11, 2005

Weird Dream

Towards the end of my dream I approached a jail cell with a man clothed in white standing with his head down facing slightly away from me. I knew the guy to be a little slow, so I wasn't surprised that he didn't respond to my approach. What did surprise me was the sound of footsteps walking toward me from inside the jail cell when all I could see in my dream was the man standing. When the footsteps were right in front of me I started to wake up, my body temperature shot up, and all I could think about was that this would be a really cool effect in a horror movie. I'd never had a dream where the sound was so far removed from what I was "seeing".

This happened at about 4am and I couldn't get back to sleep, but what happened next was even more unexpected. My brain started to answer questions that I had been asking myself about for years. Why has Bill Gates been investing so much time and energy into voice recognition? Because, the first company to come up with a program that can search through a directory of audio files for a specific comment would make a killing. Picture going to Yahoo and being able to search video and audio clips from all over the world over the past 100 years and being able to go to the exact point in the media where the word you searched for was spoken. TV shows, commercials, radio spots, audio books, movies, etc. That would be huge enough to occupy the mind of the world's richest man.

Likewise, searching through books could be the next really big thing on the internet (another idea that popped in my head). As smart and witty as we like to think we are with our blogs, being able to search through texts written over the last few thousand years by the world's most knowledgeable people could give us access to insight and knowledge that have been long forgotten. Picture being able to "Google" every book in Amazon.com for references to specific characters, equations, or concepts. I'd pay for that.

Then I started imagining answers to things that I really didn't want to know the answers to. That's when I started getting a little spooked. Whether they were right or wrong wasn't as much an issue as the mere act of imagining what the most probable deaths might be of the people I care most about. At this point, I figured I was turning into a nut-case and I began to try to turn off the faucet of ideas pouring through my head.

All of this time an image of the person those footsteps might have belonged to was frozen in my head on top of everything else that was showing up. I tried not to "focus" on it just because it was so weird. We fear what we do not understand, and that pretty much described me early this morning. I don't know what they put in the chicken from Whole Foods that I ate for dinner last night, but it's pretty potent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home