Friday, October 01, 2004

Thursday Kali and the Debate

The debate was actually about whether I should go to Kali or watch the presidential debate. The three upcoming debates have to be among the most important events in our lifetime. Fortunately, CNN replayed them that night, which made my decision to go to Kali (albeit very late) seem as though I was not neglecting my responsibilities as a citizen.

After watching the debate, I would find it hard to believe that someone couldn't figure out who was the better statesman. The hunched and smirking Dubya always trying to get the last word, or the guy who actually fought as a soldier and has held public office for 20 years. Nuff said ... for now.

Kali went pretty well last night. Today we focused on control and power. Try to hit your partner as light as possible while twirling your stick as fast as possible. After hitting my partner's stick kind of hard with my heavy red oak monster, it seemed fair to switch to my lighter, resin-coated one so that I wouldn't cause too much damage. The great thing about Kali is that no matter how much better I think I'm getting at this exercise, there's always other nuances to add, so it never gets boring.

Next we focused on striking while moving in a straight line. Meaning, keeping our heads level. It's tricky, but it's a fun exercise. Here I learned that one "soft" strike from Gura in the floating ribs from behind can be felt more than 100 strikes at from my peers at the wrong angle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home