Tuesday, February 14, 2006

What I've Learned So Far In 2006

Walking on my hands: I started Capoeira back in December and it's taken me this long to take more than 4 steps reliably.

A Little Portuguese: Music is a big part of Capoeira, and everyone has to sing, in Portuguese, and play an instrument. Not so easy when you only know one language.

CSS2 and Tableless HTML: I've used stylesheets, but never to the degree needed to produce table-less web pages. It took me a whole week to be able to make what would have taken me a few hours in table-driven HTML. However, I did learn a few shortcuts with this method.

AJAX: An acronym for Asynchronous Javascript and XML. Being able to pull data from a server and present it without refreshing the page was what I liked most about Flash. Now I don't need flash to do it.

PHP: ASP Classic is slowly dying and ASP.net seems like a dandied up ColdFusion, which I abandonded years ago. So, I'm starting to learn PHP. It's going to take a long time to convert all my VBScript classes.

Kali-oeira: I've been fooling around trying to see what would happen if I applied Kali timing and weapons work with Capoeira movements. I can't tell if it's any more effective, but it looks neat.

Mavens, Connectors, Salespeople: I downloaded the audiobook "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell, and learned some interesting stuff. According to the book, there are 3 personality types that make trends happen. Mavens are information brokers. They collect information to help people and are considered authorities. Connectors have massive networking skills. They pass information around easiest. Salespeople convince others of the importance of information. They make believers out of even the most cynical people.

Garlic Pills: I've had a virus of some sort for the past month, and chewing garlic tablets helped out a lot ... for a while. Then I got the feeling they were destroying the lining in my throat. I guess I shouldn't have taken that many.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, you can take garlic pills that would give you the same benefits, and you just swallow them... your throat would be intact. They are really good for you year round.

Chewy garlic pills sound yucky!

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please I beg you...No more garlic..please, please, please

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home