Wednesday, October 04, 2006

An Injured Fall

Just like the beginning of last Fall, I've spent a good part of late summer and early autumn recovering from injuries. Practicing backbends for Capoeira apparently puts a lot of stress on my knees. For those beginners out there, watch those fingers when doing your bananeiras (handstands). After two months, my ring finger still hasn't healed enough for me to make a fist. Which brings me to the latest lessons in Kali and Capoeira.

Kali & Capoeira
In class yesterday we went over some basics. Parry-check, defense and countering with sticks and open-hand technique, and footwork.

It was relatively easy on my hand and my knee (although my knee is close to 100% again), which is why I'll be studying Kali for a very long time to come. No matter how hobbled I become, there's still something to learn, and I can still participate.

The overarching lesson from yesterday ended up being blending to your opponent. I guess that concept never goes away. As we practiced it became apparent to me that I was becoming frustrated because my opponent wasn't moving in the prescribed way for the exercise we were doing. As the more senior student, it was my job to make the adjustments. I eventually made the realization, and the adjustment, but I wasn't so successful in doing so in a Capoeira roda two days before.

On Sunday, when it was my turn to play in the roda, I tried throwing in some spinning kicks. To my dismay, the person I played with was the first person I've ever played who could execute a counter to a spinning kick. When I asked him how he knew when to counter, he said I was telegraphing with my upper body. I already knew this, because I do it intentionally, but even so I've never met anyone astute enough to counter--EVERY TIME! On the left and right side!

He was obviously blending to me a lot more effectively than I was to him. To refer to this guy as the senior student would be an understatement. I eventually adjusted by faking the first kick and doubling up the spins, but that was a real eye-opener.

So, what have I learned. First, if someone sweeps you on the same kick twice, change the program. Second, blending applies in both Kali and Capoeira. Next, my Kali is becoming a little rusty as a result of my busy schedule, and having a badly sprained finger helps emphasize my lack of smoothness.

As long as no new injuries get added to the list, I think I'll be able to get my act back together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home