Tuesday, April 12, 2005

How I Got The Vette II

How did I make enough money to buy my new car? You can invest in yourself, Real Estate, or businesses. Let's start with you. Or, more specifically, what I did that could apply to you.

In order to make money, you first have to believe you can. Although faith helps, it's not as nice as knowing exactly what steps you can take. First, find out how other people got rich. Bill Gates (Microsoft), Michael Dell (Dell Computers), and Charles Schwab along with other multi-millionaires and billionaires have auto-biographies describing exactly what they did and who they did it with, or in the case of Schwab, what you can do specifically. In my own research I've found that few successful businesspeople do it alone. They usually come from a family with professional parents, with industry connections, and they work in teams of 2 to 4 people in order to get their first big score.

For those women and people of color out there reading, don't be discouraged. There are a few great resources out there that are specifically catered to us. The Color Of Success and Secrets of Six Figure Women are two titles that got me started in the right direction when it started to look like my only option for success in corporate america was to be a white man.

Do some research on your favorite performers, artists, or athletes. Find out how they mentally prepared themselves for excellence, and try out some of their techniques for yourself. Listen to self-help tapes, or read self-help books. This might sound hokey, but listen to Tony Robbins. He has a whole series of audio CDs that will give you a different perspective on what you can achieve. I went through his whole 12 CD series. I didn't agree with everything, and some of what he had to say was just silly, but most of what I got out of it was very useful. Unless you're already wealthy, or on the path to wealth, always keep your mind open, and ready receive insight. Otherwise, you'll be stuck doing the same old thing you're doing righ tnow for the rest of your life.

Another resource is sales books. They may not directly apply to what you do professionally, but they can apply to pretty much every other interaction you have in life. I have a personal favorite that I'll recommend shortly, but first, here's an example of what happened when I recommended this book to a friend of mine.

He was kinda skinny, shy, and I knew I could always rely on him to be around Friday night if I wanted to do something, because he couldn't get a date to save his life. He told me that he wanted to change his luck with women, and I recommended the book. He listened, bought the book, and not more than a month later he had dates for every night of the week. The next time I saw him, I asked him "what happened?". He said he read the book and he kept notes from the book in his wallet when he went out to "prospect" for women. That's when I realized I had created a monster. I also realized how powerful the book was.

The book's author is Tom Hopkins, and it's title is How To Master The Art of Selling. You don't have to read the book to become wealthy, but at some point you will have to sell your talent, your ideas, yourself to someone else and having the tools to do that will be a BIG help.

Another way to invest in yourself is through continued education. I have a Bachelor's Degree in mechanical engineering. Neither Bill Gates or Michael Dell finished college. I have a higher degree than them, so I should be better off right? Of course not, because they found more valuable things to educate themselves about. Have no doubt that anyone that has achieved anything worthwhile, did so because they taught themselves to do something better than anyone else. If you're not learning something, anything, you're not going to get any further than where you are now. In fact, you'll go backwards. At least it'll seem that way, when everyone starts to move past you in their professional and personal lives.

So, to recap on investing in yourself. 1. Learn about other successful people. 2. Learn about what motivates successful people and what motivates you. 3. Learn, and continue to do so. Next time, I'll talk about investing in business, and how it helped me get my Corvette.

Oh, if you don't yet know who Napoleon Hill is. Get familiar with him real quick. If you've heard the phrase "If you can conceive it and believe it, you can achieve it", that's where it came from. If you haven't heard it before, believe it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home