Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Gracie Jiujitsu

A few weeks ago I started taking jiujitsu classes at Ralph Gracie's new school in Berkeley. A great supplement to my regular Kali work. Great conditioning is a requirement, so I've been riding my bike and jogging more so I don't end up vomiting sometime in the middle of class. It's a great school, the teacher is accomplished and is a very good instructor.

What does this mean for Kali? Nothing really. As excellent as Ralph Gracie's school is, it doesn't replace what I learn from Kali. Whether it's weapon work, footwork, numerado (a lead-follow exercise), open hand, pressure points, feng shui, or finance, Kali provides an education in self-defense and self-preparation that you really can't find anywhere else. So, if anyone out there is looking for a martial art to learn, both Kali and Gracie Jiu Jitsu fall high on my list of recommendations.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd also like to recommend the Krav Maga which is also taught at Gracie's School. It's on of the most combat tested martial arts available, and is very easy and intuitive to learn. I've taken various different martial arts, and this is, in my opinion, one of the most to-the-point for the real world. Now if we can just get the Gracie School to offer a package deal...

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home